Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have an Insignia 1.8 exclusive (2012). 23.5K on clock. Recently

I have an Insignia 1.8 exclusive (2012). 23.5K on clock. Recently notice a very noisy tickover.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. How do you mean noisy? tapping sound? and from which area roughly do you know on the engine? Any warning lights since this occured?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tapping sound I would guess. Seems to be coming from the area of the belts but I'm not sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry no warning lights
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
I persume you have inspected the oil level - you would need to check on that just to rule any possible oil level issues..if its a little low then topup if required..level should be just about near the max level..not over.... the only other possible cause this could be and is fairly well known issue is the camshaft position actuator or the filter element restricted the oil channel this controls the VVT function or variable valve timing sprocket/hub which is part of the inlet camshaft which in turn is driven off the timing belt "belt side".They can be removed the actuator or cleaned but if from cold start and it stops then it posible the fault maybe solved as below there was field remedy to solve this so maybe well worth trying and consulting with the dealer over this or your local garage.i do hope this helpsRemedy E0002487 Insignia 2009+ ...A16XER| A18XER Complaint:Knocking noise after cold start. This noise appears sporadically after cold start and the engine switched off for a long period of timeCause:The camshaft position actuator activation starts too early before the necessary oil pressure is reachedRemedy:In case of customer complaint program engine ECU with modified software. Software will be available as of 11th of May 2009, TIS2Web 5.5. FunctionalGroup:J - EngineComplaint Group:14 - Noises or VibrationsTrouble Code:P0011,P0014
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually it seems Ok when cold. I haven't checked the oil level as yet because the vehicle was serviced just a month ago.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Well it still would be worth checking the oil level all the same just incase..yes but as you say if the noise emits from the belt/timing belt side then ideally we would be looking at that for inspection at least considering it being a fairly well known fault,they just have to remove solenoid actuator and inspect mesh filter and clean and refit and see if the fault returns..besides that they could also remove the main auxillary belt and then run the engine for a short moment to see if the noise still occurs or not..if not then you would be looking at one of pulleys/tensioner/guides at fault or failing..if the noise still happens on that side then its either the above actuator or an issue with the timing belt/pulleys hubs.water pump.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks. Finally, in your view is this an urgent matter?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Difficult to say without actually hearing it myself..but if its fairly noticable or loud even then i would say yes..if its very minimul and doesnt appear to effect the cars overall running performance and the ecu hasnt picked up on the fault be it with the engine light.i would say it wouldnt be urgent in that sense..but certainly maybe something to get checked out if and when for pieace of mind..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks