Nathan B
Nathan B, Nvq3 motor mechanic
Experience:  Over 20 years experience including running my own garage working on a wide range of vehicles.
27720961

I have a 2012 vauxhall corsa 1.2 limited edition (CORSA D)

Customer Question

i have a 2012 vauxhall corsa 1.2 limited edition (CORSA D) since a few days ago there is a strong smell of petrol and there is a ticking/whining noise when i drive. sometimes it gets worse when I'm going faster or accelerating and most of the time stops/reduces if i let go of the accelerator or brake. what is the issue. no warning signs on dash etc
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Nathan B replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.Welcome to ja.comMy name is ***** ***** I hope I can help you today.First of all though I am going to have to ask you some questions so my answer will be better sourced.On the petrol smell first, have you noticed any rise in fuel consumption since you have noticed the smell? Also does the exhaust sound any louder than normal near the front of the car?On the second issue with the noise. If you are driving, and then press the clutch pedal in does the noise go away or stay as is? If it stays there, is it worse in any gears than the rest?And if you are driving and twitch the steering from left to right does the noise dampen slightly when turning one way or the other?I look forward to your repliesThanks in advanceNathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

slight rise in fuel consumption. the exhaust doesn't sound louder to me. The noise does disappear if you press the clutch. The noise does dampen if u turn but thats both ways. the noise can be very intermittent at times.

Expert:  Nathan B replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.Thanks for your reply. I hope you can understand that sometimes noise can be hard to determine as I cannot see the car myself but I just have a couple more questions about the noise really.Can you hear the noise if you have the bonnet open and then rev the engine up. Or is it only while moving that it happens? If you can get the noise while just revving the engine, if you get someone to rev the engine and you listen to the engine, does it sound like it is coming from the drivers or passengers side under the bonnet?Thanks again and I await your replyNathan