Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My Girlfriend has a problem with her combo van (engine

Hi, My Girlfriend has a problem with her combo van (engine yet to be confirmed) The spanner symbol on the dashboard is apparently on and it's emitting black smoke. Any ideas? Regards.
Category: Vauxhall
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be a problem with the fuel filter or an ECU connection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem started suddenly and as she's currently away I have no access to the van currently
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. Doubt it would be either you mention..Fuel Filter issue often cause poor starting/performance wise issues..ECU connections cant see it..unless there is alot of corrosion built up and it would likely cause non starting in some cases or other engine problems...Black smoke is usually too much fuel lack of air / timing error /intercooler fault or EGR..Id say most likely the checks here would be the intake circuit.the intercooler pipe work for issue.aswell as the EGR for function and is clogged or stuck..that can cause black smoke...considering the spanner lights on id say your best starting point before going in without any idea..have the Van plugged in and see what fault codes are stored first..that way you'll have better understanding which direction or checks you need to make here..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert, I have already provided five stars for your quick and thorough response. Thank you.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks..but if you need to enquire anything further then just ask