Nathan B
Nathan B, Nvq3 motor mechanic
Experience:  Over 20 years experience including running my own garage working on a wide range of vehicles.
27720961

I have a Vauxhall Insignia diesel 2015 which has gone into

I have a Vauxhall Insignia diesel 2015 which has gone into limp mode 4 times since purchase . I have been told by the garage each time that the filter is clogged as I don't do any long motorway driving . The warning light came on once and after driving on the motorway for 10 mins it was fine but this week the car went into limp mode as soon as the warning light came on is this normal and what is the point of having a warning light if this is the case cheers robbie
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Nathan B replied 9 months ago.
Hi Robbie. Welcome to ja.comI hope I can be of help to you today. The filter that the garage is talking about is the dpf filter or diesel particulate filter. This fitter is fitted on most new diesel vehicles nowadays and is to help the cars emissions to be controlled to an even lower point than previous. But the problem with them is that they need to be at a high temperature before they start regenerating and before they reach this temperature they don't work properly so get clogged up with carbon soot. This is especially true if the car is mainly used for short trips. So what they are saying is true. Now on to the warning light. This light can cine on for many other reasons and not just the dpf. So it is necessary to have it to alert you that there is a fault somewhere in the systems and warns you to get the car seen to by a garage to get the problem fixed. What you could try doing is adding a fuel treatment to the fuel tank (redex or forte are very good for this) to clean the carbon from inside the fuel system and this may cure your problem. If it keeps on acting up though you may need to get the dpf replaced as it may be too far clogged up. This can work out quite expensive if it does need replacing. Unfortunately you cannot get the dpf removed permanently as MOT testers are told to look for this and it will fail the test for not having it there if it is meant to be. I hope this has been of help to you.If you require further assistance on this matter you can still post on this question even after you have rated as this doesn't close the question. Also if you require any help in the future you can contact me via my profile on this site and I will be happy to help you again. Please rate my answer as this is how i get paid and any feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you in advanceNathan
Nathan B, Nvq3 motor mechanic
Experience: Over 20 years experience including running my own garage working on a wide range of vehicles.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cheers mate The main thing that I want to know is should the warning screed about the filter been clogged come on should it give me time to give the car a run out and not go into limp mode as soon as the screed comes up which happened to me
Expert:  Nathan B replied 9 months ago.
Hi Robbie.
The light can come on four a number of reasons and sometimes if it is a minor fault it won't go into limp mode but when it comes on for the dpf fault it does usually go straight into limp mode as it classes this as a major fault.
So in answer to your question there, yes it should go into limp mode. It is so that you can't cause any damage to the engine.
I hope this has helped you more.
I would just like to take this opportunity to say thank you for rating my answer and for the bonus. It is very much appreciated.
If you require any help in the future you can contact me via my profile on this site and I will be happy to help you again.
Once again thank you.
Nathan