Nathan B
Nathan B, Nvq3 motor mechanic
Experience:  Over 20 years experience including running my own garage working on a wide range of vehicles.
27720961

My insignia 60 plate 1.8 whines when driving, if I take it

Customer Question

my insignia 60 plate 1.8 whines when driving, if I take it out of gear it still whines. hat is problem ?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Nathan B replied 8 months ago.
Hi there. Welcome to ja.comI hope I can be of assistance to you today but first I just need to ask you a few questions so my answer is better sourced as I strive to give the best answer possible from the information received. 1. Does the whine get slowly louder as you pick up speed? 2. If you carefully (when No other cars are about) shake the steering from side to side while driving, does the whine seem to dampen when you go either one way or the other? If it does, which way is it if you can tell? 3. Does it sound more from the front or the back of the car? 4. Does it go away if you press the brake pedal? Or even reduce slightly. 5. If you hold down the clutch pedal does it get quieter at all? I can understand there are a few questions there but the more info I have the more I have to work with and thE better my answer will be. I look forward to your repliesThanks in advanceNathan
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nathen,
1. Yes
2. No
3. Its from the front.
4. No
5. NoCheers.Rodney
Expert:  Nathan B replied 8 months ago.
Hi Rodney .From the answers that you have given to me, it doesn't sound like it is a gearbox problem so you can breathe a bit easier. But what it does sound like is a front wheel bearing that is on its way out. The newer bearings sometimes don't have any play in them when you Jack up that wheel and try and shake the wheel side to side and up and down like you could on older cars which had taper bearings fitted. Although saying that, when the bearing is very worn you will get play this way. But what you should be able to do is, with the wheel jacked up if you spin the wheel you should be able to hear a slight rumble in the one that is worn. Once you have determined which one is worn it can then be replaced. The bearings on the front are a compete unit which has a new hub, bearing and abs ring included so are a little bit more expensive than a normal bearing. But they are bolted in so are slightly quicker to fit. The upside to this is that if the hub is worn from the old bearing it doesn't matter as this will be new now.Unfortunately I cannot tell which side it is so both will need to be checked out.I hope this has helped you Rodney.Remember if you require any further assistance on this matter you can post on here even if you have rated my answer as this doesn't close out the question. Also if you need help in the future you can contact me on here via my profile and i will be happy to help you again.Please rate my answer when you are satisfied. Any feedback is very much appreciated.Thank you in advanceNathan