Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Mike. I have just taken the oil filter paper element out of my 2007 Corsa 1.2sxi. It ap

Customer Question

HI Mike. I have just taken the oil filter paper element out of my 2007 Corsa 1.2sxi. It appears to have a spring loaded valve in the top of the element. However the new (genuine part) element hasn't got this valve in it. I cannot get the valve out of the old element, do I have to purchase a separate valve to fit in the new element. Thanks in advance. Gregg
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
Hi..there.. The filter you have with the valve is the type with the "non return valve"...I note you say its a genuine one so im kind of puzzled why you got one without..there are 2 types one with and one without the valve..Vauxhall is about the best place to get it and mention that yours is the type with the non return valve..and this is where sometimes people get caught out or even garages when they have the wrong filter..Aftermarket cheap filters should be avoided at the very upmost..as ive seen them break up and block the filter housing...But as for removal the valve from the old filter..you cant not without breaking it anyway and i highly doubt you'd get the valve on its own..Best to aquire one with the valve already installed and seated in it and you should be good to go...
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Robert, thanks for your prompt response.
When visiting the main dealer/agency I informed the assistant that my filter element has a valve fitted in it.
He showed me two different elements, one longer than the other neither of which had got a valve in them.
He assured me that he had provided the correct element (the shorted of the 2) I must admit I was dubious so this is why I haven't fitted it yet.
I will go back today and try to see a different assistant.
Is it ok if I let you know how I get on.
Best Regards
Gregg
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
Yeah it will be the shorter of the type..I do recall on these an early type with the valve and later version without of the same filter element - which i asumed Vauxhall would know about based on engine number/code..as long as you mention its the early type with the "non return valve"... Obviously if they cant supply it for what ever reason..then im sure any good local motor factors should be able to aquire one..bar using the likes of halfords/eurocarparts of course..pretty much the same one's your local garage would use maybe might be more helpful