Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Vauxhall insignia is over revving, juddering and losing

Customer Question

My Vauxhall insignia is over revving, juddering and losing power. The traction control light is on and the service light. Teresa
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Teresa,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like you to find a professional who can help please. Teresa
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Teresa can you tell me a little bit more pleaseWhat engine size and fuel type is this?how many miles are on the vehicle and when was it last serviced?have you had any diagnostic tools plugged in to read off the fault codes?does the car have an automatic transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 1.8cc, petrol. Last service may 2015. Mileage is 30696. It's a 61 plate. It's in for service Tuesday but I'm worried it's very serious. I don't know about automatic transmission. No diagnostics read yet. Teresa
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Teresa does the car have 2 or 3 pedals in the footwell?if it has 2 pedals then its an automatic and I'd suspect that this is the issue as it sounds like its revving up in gear but not transmitting power to the wheelsand in which case the 1st thing to check is the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park. You can top up the box through the dipstick tube if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use.. If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's got 3 pedals and a gear box so not automatic transmission. Teresa
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
OK Teresathanks for letting me know so in that case if you don't have fault codes then I'd next replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp You can also try spraying some water on the coil pack with the engine running. It is possible the coil is faulty and causing the misfire. If you see sparks arcing with the water, then replace the coil.I'd check the condition of the injector plugs / connections as this could be a lean misfire if an injector isn't firing properly - the best way to check this is with a 'noid' light http://www.noidlight.com/ Then check all the connections to the engine sensors one at a time, remove each one and examine for signs of corrosion or damage and a squirt of contact cleaner ( not WD40) will also help. This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running. Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts. The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements. It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine