Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Have a Vauxhall zafira 1.6 petrol it had been stood for

Customer Question

Hi have a Vauxhall zafira 1.6 petrol it had been stood for a good few years I've had spark plugs, oil change and all filters changed the problem is it is bellowing white smoke when stationary or been revved any help would be appreciated thanks
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello its possible that water / coolant is finding its way into the combustion chamber So the thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you was thinking of replacing the gaskets anyway could it be anything to do with the piston rings thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if you have a broken piston ring then this too can produce smoke bit it will be blue as a broken ring allows oil into the chamber this can be checked by performing a compression test across all cylinders, as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you