Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73554018

I've got an astra h 1.7 cdti 2005 that won't always star

Customer Question

hi. I've got an astra h 1.7 cdti 2005 that won't always start when hot. if does it cranks for ages till it does.
already changed fuel filter. sensor on fuel rail. crank sensor. put large sprinter battery on it so turns quicker. yet still a pig to start. quick spray of effer it will start straight away.
Category: Vauxhall
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I make correction. it wasn't sensor on rail but one on back of fuel pump.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 6 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I keep throwing money at parts on it but still the same.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensorIf the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it's been on a autell code reader. cam and crank signals good. as I've said it''s a starting when hot issue. so glow plugs won't be kicking in. but there good and new in jan.
had spill bottles put on injectors last week. and all were good. had new egr in Feb. and pipe work cleaned out. if you try this car in morning or when really cold she fires first time. go get her up to operating temp then switch off. leave for couple of mins and she won't restart easy if at all with out easy start. it's a temp related problem. something is breaking down when hot.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do we have anymore answers. as all the normal stuff has been checked. that's why I've paid you guys for EXPERT advice.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello OKthanks for the extra information in that case I'd consider replacing the cam and the crank sensors as I've known these to read / work fine when cold and then fail as they expand with temperature also check the wiring loom for these two for damage and corroded connectionsI'd also do the same for the MAP sensor on the inlet manifold
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the sensor's have been replaced with new genuine ones and it's same as with old ones. the wiring and plugs have been checked as much as can be.from the answers I'm getting I don't think you have any more idea than I have.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
fair enough I'll opt out and get someone else involved good luck
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK thanks.
I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This
happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ive had no response now so I wanna give up with this. this isn't want I'd expect. your reputation well out ways your sevice and response time. I just want a refund now.