Nathan B
Nathan B, Nvq3 motor mechanic
Experience:  Over 20 years experience including running my own garage working on a wide range of vehicles.
27720961

My vauxhall corsa design is over revving. Before it was struggling

Customer Question

my vauxhall corsa design is over revving. Before it was struggling to move as there was a light with the whole car and a spanner in the middle. I had a local garage knock the the lights out hovever when this was done it started over reving. Please can you help? Different garages trying to rip me off one said, it was the clucth but my car is automatic, another said it was gearbox, another said it was the electronics, another said it was the throttle body. I am so confused can you help.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Nathan B replied 6 months ago.

Hi there.

Welcome to ja.com

I hope I can be of assistance to you today but first I need to ask you some questions so my answer is better sourced.

1. Can you please give me the full model of your car including whether it is petrol or diesel and engine size. Also if you can give me the chassis number that would help me more if I need to do a bit more research for you.

2. When the garage cleared the engine light for you did they read the fault codes first and if so did they tell you what they were as this could lead us to the route of the problem because it seems the car was in limp mode before the light was reset.

3. About how high are the revs going?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you in advance

Nathan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
petrol, 3dr automatic design 56 plate7000 - 8000 thats how high it goes with speed at 20-30
Expert:  Nathan B replied 6 months ago.

Hi again.

Thanks for your reply.

Can i just ask again as you didnt clarify for me, when the garage cleared the light did they read the fault codes and/or give you the list of faults at all?

One more thing please, you say it is doing 7-8000 rpm at 20-30mph. Does the car seem to change gear at all? Because from what you are saying it doesnt seem to be.

Sorry i need to ask questions, i just want to make sure i give you the right answer.

I look forward to your reply

Thank you in advance

Nathan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Diag Report Launch.
TotAL CODES 002
Code001: Shift Solenoid (E Electrical)
Code002: Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit.is not gearbox issue is it? and what do i do since ur the professional.
Look forward to hearing from you.Kind Regards
Expert:  Nathan B replied 6 months ago.

Hi again.

Thank you for your reply. I tried to accept your phone call request to speak to you in person but for some reason it failed so I'll try and explain it here.

You have on your car a semi automatic system which consists of a manual gearbox with a solenoid and electrical mechanism which changes the gears for you. From the codes you have sent me it seems that one of the solenoid has failed so it cannot change gear and so stays in first gear. That is why it is revving really high and that is why it went into limp mode so it wouldn't damage the gearbox. When you had the codes read the garage should have investigated it for you really as there is a reason the light cones on.

What you are going to have to do is, if you can get them separately from a breaker yard you could get the solenoid unit and replace yours and that should cure the fault for you. It is not a gearbox fault though just a fault with the solenoid unit which is mounted onto it.

I hope this has helped you on this matter and if you require any further help pin this matter you can still pay on here even if you have accepted my answer as this didn't close out the question. Also if you require help in the future you can contact me on this site via my profile and i will be happy to help you again.

Please remember to rate my answer as this is how I get paid and any feedback is very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Nathan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Good day how are you.
The car has just gone into limp mode as in it drives normally no jerking or anything it just would not speed past 40mph.
The revs go extremely high even cruise control don't go past 40. It struggles really bad I mean everything works fine no problem on the dash board cause the codes were erased but now it just won't drive past 40. Wen it get there and I keep pushing and pushing and even leave the cruise control on it just freezes and the the revs go low and then start back up again am so confused TBH this is crazy.
Please ur the professional Wat do u advice pls
Look forward to hearing from u
Expert:  Nathan B replied 5 months ago.

Hi again.

The fact it has gone into limp mode is a good thing as this is to stop you from damaging the engine due to a major fault being recognised by the ecu. Limp mode will limit the speed to 40 mph so that you can get to a garage or home and not leave you stuck on the side of the road.

The fact that you say that the car is still revving high would still say to me that the car isnt changing gears as it should and still i would check the solenoid unit which is mounted on the gearbox as it seems that this isnt working right and is causing this problem for you. the unit has a control module and solenoids built into in so that when the module gets the signal to change gear it does.

If you are looking to fix this yourself i would get a good one from a breakers yard and fit it and i'm sure that this will cure your problems.

This is not a clutch fault or a gearbox internal fault as far as i can tell. It sounds like it is the solenoid unit that has failed.

I hope that this has helped you.

Please remember to rate my answer as this is how i get paid and any feedback is very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Nathan