Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My abs lite came on and also when I was driving I couldn't

Customer Question

Hi my abs lite came on and also when I was driving I couldn't steer the car aww turn right it was like the wheel was locked I got frightened cos I have grandkids in car does that mean I need power steering fluid
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. What Version/Model of Vauxhall do you have? Does the car still start and run ok or any other lights on the dash come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert it's mv53 tku and it's the EPS light that comes on iv just got in it to drive steering wheel stiff so I had to turn car off the on thanks I'm scared cos I have my grandkids in car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car runs ok it's just the steering wheel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot it's a 1.6 sport
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. Ok.So it the Vauxhall Mervia...first checks ideally id say from here or have done is a full inpsection and test of the charging system..this includes the battery state / alternator performance aswell as obviously ensuring the drive belt is still intact..sometimes even a problem on the charging system can cause those warning to flag up as the steering does rely on the charging system to be 100% - The actual EPS light is your steering column ECU/BCM so its actually logged faults..because these cars have electronic steering assist which means your column is basically electronic/motor assisted with no fluid.. Besides it a very common fault on these cars and normally its down to in relation to the torque angle/position sensor which is part of the steering column - normally they have to be replaced or repaired ..obviously has to be removed and sent away..either way those are the options open really..after which it will need to be re-calibrated - there are alot of places can help or sell recon units you may want to look at below...But id say from here the best thing you can do now is to find a good local garage or mobile tech with a proper diagnostic machine or Vauxhalls TECH2 diagnostics to determine if indeed the column is at fault normally you will get fault code C1500..so as above that im afraid thats the way forward on this one checks wise before you go down the route of repairs..I do hope this helpshttp://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/product/vauxhall_meriva_power_steering_eps_-_electric_power_steering_eps56414a.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Robert will it be expensive to get fixed
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Depends really on the labor with regards ***** ***** ever garage you use which can vary alot plus charges for getting diagnosed or plugged in..but normally these units as with the link above which you may want to look at is what they price them at from reconditioned ones..which would be the way forward based on the age of the car in my opinion..plus the recalibration time using a high end scanner like i say above Tech2