Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My vectra was making a noise in timing belt area i was

Customer Question

my vectra was making a noise in timing belt area i was driving it slowly it just stoped runing and there was no noise tryed starting it it turned would not start. ive found pulley wheel broken in timing belt ive putt a other pulley wheel on and tryed starting it dosent start
Category: Vauxhall
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..

Did you fit a new belt on at the same time and realigned timing? what engine does the car have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was a secound hand belt off a another old engine the vectra as a 1796 duel fuel engine lpg gas and petrol factory fit.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

You should never use a timing belt off another engine..certainly if its got alot of miles on it.The timing kits aswell as water pump for these engines are relatively cheap...I persume you have timed the engine up properly..you dont say if you have or not..if not then that will be your problem..Besides if it hasnt aswell the resulting failure when the pulley failed you may already have significant damage to cylinder head valves due to the pistons hitting them.resulting in no compression on either of the 4 cylinders..the only way to know that without timing up the engine is to test each cylinder with the inlet/exhaust cam to closed position and perform a leak down test using compressed air..that will verfiy either way if the head needs pulled or not.. or you culd down the route of timing the engine up with that belt and perform a comprrssion test on each cylinder..either way its fairly likely to be the case as above ..not timed properly or no compression..if you cant do these checks yourself? then any properly equiped mobile mechanic/tech should be able to help with those checks above...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tell you our i timed engine up crankshaft puller ***** *****ned up with mark on timing cover lined two marks on camshafts. number one piston at top which is nearest camshaft.One camshaft you cant see without taking rocker cover off; i woulder if this camshaft could be a full turn out. i have a spare engine for the car at home if my engine is faulter is it best to take cylinder head off and renew valves or fit my other engine. Can you tell me how to find a moble/tech and how much there cost or tell me our to do the test my self.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Yeah if i recall off hand on these 1.8's the crank should be at the 5 o'clock mark / the inlet and exhaust cam marks face each other - inlet cam at the 3 o'clock mark and exhaust at the 9 o'clock position..once the belts on and tensioned then a full rotation needs to be carried out by hand (remove spark plugs makes it easier) and see if the marks line back up and recheck belt tension... Number one pistons needs to be at TDC and number one cylinders valves should be both closed - Id maybe advise at least getting a leak downtest done.unless you have a compression guage to test you should have at least (14.0-16.0 bar).for a leak down test you'll need compressed air and leakdown test guage unless you have something that can attach to your compressed air line and screw into the sparkplug hole then ensure the cylinder your testing both valves are closed and then apply the air to the cylinder and listen to see if the air escapes either via out the exhaust system or the air box..that way if it does you'll know for sure one the valves arent sealing or bent and the damage is done so you dont need to test the other cylinders there after..it will just be a case of removing the cylidner head and either replace it along witha new gasket kit or fit another running engine into it...the later id say just replacing the head might be the best option provided no damage has been cause to the pistons..you'll only know that once the heads off to inspect them....but as for mobile techs..best place to look for them would be local business directories/online yell.com or even if your on facebook you may find them on there locally and just see what reviews they have..or just type mobile mechanic into google and add which ever location your in and see if there is anyone local

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going to take engine out off vectra and fit secound hand engine. Being doing practice work on old drive shaft being able to loosen drive shaft nut. unable to separate drive shaft from hub can you tell me how to do this or if this happens when i dismantle car should i take hub and driveshaft off together.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Once the centre hub nut is off..the driveshaft should move a little - but you need to get the lower arm balljoint off and out and dropped before you can fully extract the driveshaft out from the rear of the hub..if the shaft is stuck in the hub it will be corrosion..you can either put the hub nut back on a few turns until its flush with the end of the driveshaft..with a heavy hammer give it few taps until you see it start to move..if it still doesnt then if you have access to a hub puller try putting that on ocne the disc is out the way..and see if moves with that..normally i use a hair hammer directly into the centre of the shaft if they get stuck..some wd-40 sprayed in wont go a miss...other than that like you say..undo the lower balljoint / undo the trackrod end / undo the 2 main strut bolts to hub carrier and take the whole lot out with the driveshaft.make sure your brake caliper is hung up and not hanging on the brake flexi line...Is this any help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thinking about fitting secound hand engine. Engine was outside in rain a little while. Engine done 170000. Engine hasnt been runing since september 2o13. Engine has had no oil put down plug holes. Do you think engine will be ok when its had no oil put down plug holes. Should i put oil down plug holes before i start it and want type off oil should i use. Ive been watching the savage garage vectra clutch time. It shows you fiting flywheel bolts using blue lock tight should i use that or will i be able to buy new flywheel bolts with locking compound already on.there use multi purpose grease on gearbox input shaft. Want gearbox input shaft grease should i use and want flywheel lockining compound should i use.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..

Without getting bore scope in via the sprakplugs holes its difficult to say..if its and engine that been well serviced and still has oil in it..then any coating inside should still be there..You need to see if it turns over by hand..2 stroke oil down the bores.some sort of light oil..might help..soak in etc..or even just a light engine oil..then see if it turns by hand....New flywheel bolts should come with locking compound on them as you say its blue..if not you can buy blue Loctite threadlock pretty much anywhere...just add a small amount to the threads if its hasnt got any already...on the input shaft you need to clean the splines as best as possible and just a very light coating of grease along the splines will be fine..multi purpose grease should be ok....I do hope this helps..Please dont forget to leave a rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Want type of borescope do I need I got cheap one for under ten pound that connects to computer laptop.. I tried it in spark plug hole it. didn't give me a very good picture. Tell me where I can buy one or hire one.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I cant tell you where to hire one as i dont know your location and if there was tool hire hire place borescopes wouldnt be something that would generally be hired out due the expense and being a specialised tool.besides cheap borescopes are always known to be bad picture feed back...unless you have high end scanner thats able to take a bore scope lead like Snap on Verus - or willing to spend at least £200 upwards to at least £1000 for a decent one..or look for this one - Sealey VS8196 - then thats about the only way you get a half decent one.....

Please dont forget to leave a rating before you log out..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in north Yorkshire where is there automotive tool hire shops that may have borescopes for hire
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Well thats not my area so cant really say where you could go..like i say very unlikely anyone would hire something like that out..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive got sealey borescope model vs8196 ive got ferguson television ftvd52it unable to get a picture from borescope to television conected the wire any avice how to a get picture on television
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i had compression test done with mobile mechanic seem to use cheap type compression testing equiment tested each cylinder said there was no compression on each cylinder. dont think he did test with inlet/exhaust cam to closed position and perform a leak down test using compressed air. Been reading haynes mannel it says these engines have electrnic throttle control system used on these engines a compression test can only be carried out with the engine management electronic thhrottle cotrol system used on these engines a compression test can only be carried out with the engine management ellectronic control unit connect to vauxhall /opel diagnostic test equipment or a compatible deternative unit. without the test equipment the throttle valve cannot be opened as there is no accelerator cable and the test will inconclusive note that even with the accelerator pedal fully depressed the engine managementy e c u will only control the throttle valve position when the engineis actully running the test eqquipment independentaly actuates the throttle valve irrespective of e cu commands and opens the throttle valve fully as the equiiment needed for the compression test is unlikely to be available to the home mechanic. it is recommended that the test is performed by a vauxhall/opel dealer. or suitably equipped garage. Have you any suggestions want i do take the cyliner headoff and check to see if valves are bent. Fit the secound hand engine ive got. i could buy cheap compression tester and do it on another car ive got the same make then try it on car that had timing puller wheel broken. His there any other checks i could do like check to see if spark plugs are sparking and check to see if petrol getting to engine. I fitted secound hand timing puller wheel to engine. the engine turns over but does not fire. Theres some wiring i need taking off rocker cover im unsure how to do this.en
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Might be easier and less down time to just remove the head on the damaged engine..and replace it with another from a running engine of the same engine type you have..must be loads out there in breakers yards or even check ebay and such like..rather than hope on engine thats been sitting idle outside "might" solve the problem......just replacing the cylinder head along with a new gasket kit / plus of course a new timing belt kit,water pump aswell as the associated pulleys that belts runs on..time the engine up once everything is together - rotate by hand a full revolution to ensure marks re-align..then see see if it starts..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
trying to loosen vauxhall vectra driveshaft nut unable to loosen it any advice how to loosen it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Trying to loosen vauxhall vectra driveshaft nut unable to loosen it any advice how to loosen it