Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Where is the starter motor on a Vauxhall combi van

Customer Question

where is the starter motor on a Vauxhall combi van
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello I'm assuming that this is the 1700 diesel which has the more difficult starter location, tucked away at the back of the engine

First, remove the battery, taking off the negative connection first.
Remove the 4 bolts holding the battery tray in place (13mm socket)
Underneath the car, at the back of the engine, remove the pozi drive screw holding the LT lead to the back of the solenoid, remove the top nut connecting the thick cable to the back of solenoid (I found this easier to do once the starter was hanging loose)
Back above the engine, loosen the 19mm bolt that holds the starter motor to the gearbox (it's a tight squeeze to get access to it)
Then back underneath, loosen the bottom starter motor bolt (14mm)
Back above, remove the 19mm bolt, underneath again and while supporting the starter, remove the 14mm bolt.
The starter can then be jiggled about to remove it completely.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you