Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Thanks help. I've just had diagnostics done on my 2010

Customer Question

Hi Mike ,thanks for your help.
I've just had diagnostics done on my 2010
Astra--£56 by Vauxhall.Bit steep what!
They told me I need a new stat--£150odd.
NoNo.I know a stat is only £40 max.
My initial problem is rad fan on permanently ,whats your diagnosis?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

the coolant temp sensor is part of the thermostat housing so this is why the fan is permanently on

a genuine thermostat is about £70 plus anti-freeze ( £20) plus an hours labour to change so I can see why they're quoting £180

you can get a pattern part thermostat housing ( they are electrically heated , so cost a bit more than regular mechanical items) for £55

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-Zafira-MOKKA-INSIGNIA-1-6-1-8-Thermostat-Housing-25192230-GENUINE-/252402151170?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you