Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2009 vauxhall insignia 1.8 petrol. This morning I

Customer Question

I have a 2009 vauxhall insignia 1.8 petrol. This morning I started the vehicle from cold and there was a rattle from the engine no longer than 1-2 seconds. Any ideas , I have a recording of the sound if this helps.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Sounds like the common camshaft position actuator or the filter element blocked restriction oil flow channel to vvt camshaft hub/sprocket.sometimes the small filter in the actuator can block causing that same issue..also lack of routine oil and filter changes using cheap oil filters can too also...there was also a field remedy for the same issue as detailed below...might help you out..

Remedy E0002487

Insignia 2009...A16XER| A18XER

Complaint: Knocking noise after cold start. This noise appears sporadically after cold start and the engine switched off for a long period of time

Cause: The camshaft position actuator activation starts too early before the necessary oil pressure is reached

Remedy:

In case of customer complaint program engine ECU with modified software. Software will be available as of 11th of May 2009, TIS2Web 5.5.

FunctionalGroup:J - Engine

Complaint Group:14 - Noises or Vibrations

Trouble Code:P0011,P0014

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have only just brought the car around a week or so ago and all was fine up and till today.The garage that sold it to me gave it a service before I took ownership.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Well givin the problem you describe a service wouldnt solve it unless the oil condition in that engine was bad to cause that.. if they have serviced it then that would rule out oil / filter ..if they used quality fluids and filter...but as above it could be an easy job for them to remove the actuator and check the filter element or clean it up and pop it back in and then see if the problem is resolved....besides you should have 30day warranty as standard when buying a car from a car dealer..so they should in theory be investigating this issue and hopefully resolve it..