Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Vauxhall Meriva with a running issue. Engine is the

Customer Question

I have a Vauxhall Meriva with a running issue. Engine is the 1.7 CDTi. Vehicle is a 2007 model. Vehicle is starting normally and will idle slightly low around 700rpm. While in this state the throttle pedal is unresponsive. After a short while, the engine will increase to normal idle speed around 850rpm and all is normal. I have tested the alternator output and it is fine. there are no warning lights or fault codes stored.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'd start by checking the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

I'd also remove the intake pipe to the engine to reveal the throttle and thoroughly clean it with brake cleaner and a lint free rag as they can gum up with oily deposits

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check these tomorrow. I assume this is more a mechanical fault than electrical as there has never been a fault code stored. Also, once the engine speed increases to normal the engine runs without any issue at all. The fault only occurs on start, but once corrected then does not recur unless the engine is switched off. It does not occur all the time and can occur hot or cold.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

this is why I suggest the EGR as its a mechanical issue