Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 2012 Zafira has over the last couple of months developed

Customer Question

My 2012 Zafira has over the last couple of months developed a rotational low vrooooom,vroooom, vrooooooom noise that seems to be coming from the rear end. To start with it was intermittent but now it seems to be getting worse. It is there at low speed, coasting in neutral or under power, and appears to be in sync with road wheel (or drive shaft) revs. As you accelerate it seems to just become a constant road noise, I have had the car about 4 months and I am sure it was quieter in the cabin when I got it.The noise is accompanied (at low speed) by a little resonation, vibration this all disappears into general road noise as speed increases. There is whining or vibration at motorway speeds. My local ATS tyre centre say there is a little "scolloping" on the rear tyres and they are going to have a drive in it on Monday. I have jacked it up and can't feel any bearing play.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

if the noise changes during cornering at all then its very likely to be a failing wheel bearing, if this noise doesn't change during cornering and there's no play in the wheel though then I'd agree that it could be the tyre wear , especially if the edge of the tread blocks are chamfered

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Matt
Have done more tests, the noise comes in at between 10 and 20 mph and disappears into general road noise at 30-40 mph. Have driven it in reverse, noise not detectable above gear noise. Have driven in full lock circles on both locks, there is no noise. I can feel some uneven wear on the inner tyre edges, tyres have done 22000 miles
Regards Peter
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

hello Peter

OK in that case then I'd suggest to check the condition of the rear brake disc for any uneven wear or sticking pads

and if you do suspect the pads then remove then, thoroughly clean out their sockets and apply some copper grease to the back and sides of the pad so they can move and retract freely