Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My 05 astra diesel 1.7 cdti estate has started cutting out

Customer Question

Hi my 05 astra diesel 1.7 cdti estate has started cutting out when idling or slowing down at junctions then it wont start until it cools down sometimes this can take an hour or so it will bump start if I'm in a position to do so not getting any fault codes from obd reader only menu 3 saying ccm not ready and erg not ready please help
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Sounds like crank sensor failure..its fairly common to see that type of fault on these engines..normally the sensor in itself goes open circuit after a period of time and thus this is what causes the engines to cut out or non start until the sensor cools and the sensor works again for a short time until the problem resurfaces...the sensors on these are located under the starter motor...so buying a genuine sensor is prefered..alot of the aftermarket types can tend to not fit the hole in the block the sensor goes into..but a genuine will....Another issue could be ECM fault..but id say certainly before going down that route is to get the car on a high end scanner or Tech2 to confirm that...but as above it sound crank sensor related..you could of course witha scanner on live data montior the crank speed or wave form by back probing into the signal wire from it and see if it drops out or not...I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks that seems to be the opinion of most people on other forums will get new one fitted and let you know how I get on
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

No problem..