Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Frontera 2.2 diesel hesitates, loses power momentarily

Customer Question

My Frontera 2.2 diesel hesitates, loses power momentarily but then recovers. No diagnostic items. Any ideas please?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals. Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like you to keep trying, thankyou
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

1st consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this will reduce pressure at the main pump

If OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home