Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have error code 82 light come on today in my ... on the

Customer Question

Hi I have error code 82 light come on today in my Adam... on the motor way on way home it lost power and even with my foot to floor I couldn't make speed above 40mph.. after pulling over on hard shoulder and opening bonnet and oil/water tanks I was then able to gain momentum and make it home
Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: it was fine then all of a sudden a few mins loss then following the break on hard shoulder it was fine all the way home 70mph for 20miles, thank you
Assistant: Are you fixing your Th!nk yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I checked oil and water and gave it 10 mins break Other than that nothing I was on my own with my young daughter so just wanted to get home' this was in the last hour
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all thank you thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..there..

Code 82 refers to the "change oil soon" the ecu calculates by age/mileage and short stop start journeys,so its is advising you to have the oil and filter changed.if its hasnt been done already..if it has then your garage should of reset the oil life service after which...hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
why the loss of power?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Well it shouldnt drop in to limp home mode as all new vauxhall use that same system and none ive seen upto date have dropped into to limp mode as a result of code 82..as you would have code 84 / plus a spanner/car warning included on the dash..the Code 82 is just warning for oil quaility warning..However its is know on few occasions that the ECU may determine it as a fault.thus putting into a reduced power mode..cycling the key would essentailly erase any issue the ecu has seen previously and thus you gain the power back..they maybe several reasons for that..but without seeing if any history codes was set or software update check required once the oil/filter and reset of oil life has been carried out..