Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a small Vauxhall corsa whos indicators are failing

I have a small
Vauxhall corsa whos indicators are failing its been in the garage 3 times and when I collect the car
They still fail there now saying that they need to
Correct a faulty computer part I find this hard to
Believe
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..there..

In what way are the indicators failing?

How old is this Corsa or year is it?

What have they checked or replaced so far upto this point? and what computer are they refering to the BCM? Comms or what?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sometimes they
Dont reset after turning left
Or right after the vehicle is now going straight replaced the indiicator arm they dont say much except that its ok
Now and still
It fails
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello you thetr
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok carry on
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im waiting
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Whats happening
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The vehicle is a Corsa 5Dr HAT 1.2 16V Energy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Whats happening please
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please let me know whats happening
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are vauge as usual
After the 3 attempts to fix it they just say its a problem with a computer no further info forthcomimg I presume they think im a idiot I feel
Im
Being duped by the Vauxhall
Dealer just to get more money
Visit will
Be the fourth visit to dealership
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
On Monday im sure you can appreciate my concerns
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Yes but what year is the corsa? Has the steering wheel been removed or column been worked on recently or prior to this fault?

let me look at a steering diagram and please reframe from spamming the thread with whats going or whats happening etc.. i will reply once i get a clearer picture of what i think is going on..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Ronert thought you had gone sorry
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As I said its neem into
Dealer 3 times for the same fault to no avail
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
4th time will
be monday when they say they will
Look into computer problem im having problems believing this
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also
In case it helps its only done 16000 in 6 years
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Ok... Well if the indicator isnt self cancelling as i persume that what your having trouble with..then that more likely the column itself.... The Corsa changed the type of indicator stalk so thats why i needed to know the year etc...the Corsa C's used the indicator stalk that had a small peg that comes out when the lever is lifted up or down to activate the indicators..once the steering wheel comes back round to centre..there is a ring that pushes the peg in on the switch thus flicks the indicator arm back to off.so thats more a mechanical problemon them they need to investigate...the other type on the Corsa D arm plugs into the COMMS unit..which essentially is the clockspring too.the steering wheel has to come off to replace that aswell as have it reprogrammed..if its not self cancelling on that then the problems likely internal of the COMMS unit..which is pretty unusual as nine times out of ten across indicators problems not working or self cancelling on Corsa's or too on other makes of Vauxhall in general .is down the indicator stalk itself..but considering its been replaced as far as your telling me..then they need to find out why the stalk isnt getting returned depending which type of stalk you have. when the steering wheel comes back to centre..so i wouldnt say thats a computer fault...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thats my worry the car is 2011 amd being the 4th visit to the garage is worrying and
Beginning to believe they dont know what they are doing amd as I am 77 years old is a strategy to
Get more money from
Me with false info
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

I see..ok well your will be the Corsa D then being 2011...I do know on these the way the stalk works... if you push down on the stalk lightly it will activate the indicator for a few seconds then turn its self off (used for lane changing). but if you push down harder or longer in that position it will stay on or till you turn the steering wheel to the point where it cuts off the indicator... I do know also that the COMMS unit,stalk control side within it can be problamatic sometimes..that the indicator stalk plugs into.....

Dealer is always the last resort taking older cars too as it always the most expensive route..i pretty sure any properly equiped independant garage could do just as gooder job and a reduced cost..as long as they had Tech 2 or Vaux.com diagnostics and know how to use then it might get repaired a little cheaper...maybe if the comms is deemed the problem have your garage look into getting remanufactured or repaired..pretty sure "BBA Reman" did them...they have a website..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is BBA reman
If I understand you correctly you also think its a mechanical
Fault and not a computer fault
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Looking on BBA but they dont have vauxhall cars listed
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

No..thats would be if it was a Corsa C with block type indicator stalk it would be more mechanical side.. your is the newer Corsa D..which uses the COMMS .the indicator stalk basically just plugs into it..so the comms basically senses when the steering wheel centres and cancels it so it basically COMMS computer controlled im afraid.I suppose if they could check commands via live data on Tech 2 to see if the COMMS is working or not to self cancel or activate the indicators etc...Link below to BBA

Click here

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks fir all your help
Found a contact to do it and Thanks again
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

No problem...Hope all gets sorted out for you... Also if you leave a rating for me on one of the answer posts it would be much appreciated..thank you