Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2010 Corsa SXI. Recently I've noticed occasional

Customer Question

Hello,I have a 2010 Corsa SXI. Recently I've noticed occasional noise from the engine area when moving away. It's as if some motor is struggling with age perhaps. The noise gets quite loud for about 1 - 2 minutes and then stops. I'm wondering if its connected with the power steering. There is not noticable loss of power or steering etc.Any idea what's causing this?Regards
Tom
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..there..

Can you describe if possible what it sounds like? ie: - squeeling? rattling? metal to metal noise??

When does it do it mostly at start up when cold or all the time?

What engine do you have?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Robert, squeeling is the best way to describe the noise. Sometimes starts shortly after moving off but this morning occurred after driving for around 10 miles. No change to steering or drive of the car. Engine is 1.2
Tom
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Ok..

Well i cant see it being the steering because being a 2010 model you'll have the Corsa D which uses a electronic motor assisted steering column...If its squeeling nosie as you describe? ideally you want to be having the noise occuring and have a listen under the bonnet..if its from the belt side then try spraying the belt with some water.if the nosie instantly stops or reduces then you prettymuch narrowed it down. then switch the engine off..then inspect the auxillary belt..if the ribs are cracked..then replace the belt..if you can remove the belt and check each of the pulley that belt run on to ensure nothing feels seized or binding up causing the belt to slip....its also known for these engine to suffer timing chain problem..but unless it an actual rattle that you can hear behind the timing cover..of course check your oil level..then it say the best logical area to check first is the belt/pulleys on that side first..hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. Will check those areas first and get back to you.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

No problem..