Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

Having problems with my Vauxhall vivaro 1.9 2005. Started

Customer Question

Hi. Having problems with my Vauxhall vivaro 1.9 2005. Started being jumpy when driven had cam sensor changed then mass air flow then egr valve but to no avail. Now van starts and idols fine. When you go to drive away instantly stalls cuts out.
When van is jacked up at front with 2 wheels off the ground the van with drive and change through the gears no problem with front tyres botg spinning. Then once lowered again and you go to drive instantly conks out. Any suggestions on why? Or if a sensor etc?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 18 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This may be an issue with a lack of fuel to the engine.When the wheels are on the ground and accelerating the engine is under load and if there is a lack of fuel this can cause this fault here.I would check to see if the fuel filter needs replaced.If this is o.k. I would have the fuel system tested for any issues.If all of this is o.k. then I would have the exhaust tested for excessive back pressure due to a restricted exhaust component needing replaced.If these were all already checked let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi thanks for your reply. Sorry the fuel filter was changed and was and fuel system is fine.
Just a thought it's started to kick out black smoke an sometimes blue when revving engine. Would this be maybe part of excessive back pressure? What's the causes of that a blockage somewhere? But if there was a blockage would it work while off the ground. I also forgot to say the van doesn't really stall when going in reverse

Were the fuel injectors replaced at all or tested?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No they wasn't. But mechanic that came out said they were ok as the van would sit idleing for a long period and also van will drive in reverse without a problem
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 17 days ago.

Does it smoke at all when drove in reverse?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
a little but not as bad as when sat idoling or trying to drive off forward

This can still be a fault with fuel injectors.I have seen these act up under load more then when at idle or moving slow in reverse.

If you can I would have the injectors tested to see if one or more are faulty needing replaced.If one or more are faulty this can lead to excess fuel in the exhaust which can lead to a plugged exhaust component as well.It is a good idea to have the exhaust tested as well as the injectors.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hi. This was a crankshaft sensor after all that. £20 part causing me a world of pain
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 11 hours ago.

That is great to hear the fault has been located and repaired.If there is anything else I can help with on this here let me know as I strive to achieve a 5 star rating.

Thanks Pete