Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My Astra 1.6 twinport just days ago started over revving,

My Astra 1.6 twinport just days ago started over revving , Starts fine from cold, after 10 mins driving when warm it starts the over revving when i depress the clutch and brake to change gear, it will continue to over rev when parked and in neutral. when at traffic lights stop I can control this only by clutch controlling (part depressed). Also noticed that occasionally it will give excessive smoke but this is random and can hear a high pitch noise ( not particularly load but definately there)Advice please

Hi..there..

Has the battery ever been disconnected or any work done on the engine prior to this problem?

Any engine warning lights on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Battery changed in early September, no warning lights , drives lovely apart from this issue

ok..sometime if the battery has been disconnected or throttle body removed at any point for cleaning it can upset the throotle position in which it will have to be readapted using a scanner...so bear that in mind..from what your saying regarding the high pitched noise..id certainly be looking at a possible vaccum or intake leakcausing the engine idle speed to increase..twin ports can be prone to inlet manifold issues,carbon build up..so tracing that down and then make a carefull inspection of the the entire intake system starting at the filter follow the pipe work checking for breaks or leaks in the tube..check all small vaccum lines to inlet,ideally a smoke machine test on the intake vaccum system would for sure highlight any leaks especially if the inlet gasket is leaking when the engine reaches temperature,heat expansion....so a few things to have checked out anyway..hop e this helps

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this is the sort of thing i was thinking having spent a last couple of days hunting round internet, . As a professional what sort of cost would you expect for this to be sorted ( just approx idea).

Pretty hard to guage and would be a bit premature to speculate if nothing has been checked,inspected yet. that based on garage labour rates differing in each area plus their expertise too...this check in ideal situations with the correct equipment plus knowing what they are doing and checking for .. about an 1hr and half labor..so maybe £40 approx diagnosing..if anything £150max...like i say if they smoke machine tester..they can induce smoke into the vac,intake,egr system..that would cut the time checks wise for sure...or they dont have one.they could look at the live data on scanner fuel trims, or carefully go around joins,seems on the intake,vac,egr with some carb cleaner,brake clean,to see if the idle changes somewhat...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK Thank you for your time Robert.

No problem..hope you get it sorted out...if you could leave a rating for me it would much appreciated..thanks you