Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

Can dogs eat sheep nuts?

Customer Question

Can dogs eat sheep nuts?
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm happy to assist you. If you mean sheep testicles the answer is yes if the sheep are healthy. Testicles like any new food can be initially upsetting to a dog's gi tract causing some vomiting and diarrhea, so the sheep testicles should be introduced very gradually. . .mixed into your dog's regular food. If there is actually some kind of nut called a "sheep nut", I'm unfamiliar with this, but if this is the case I'll go do a little research and let you know their safety. Thanks for your question. . .

Dr. Barbara :

Dr. Barbara

Customer: Hello Dr Bs
Customer: I didn't mean sheep testicles! I meant the protein pellets we feed our sheep. This might be lost in translation - we're in the uk and tend to call these sheep nuts. Sorry for the confusion (but incidentally he's already eaten our male sheep's testicles!)
Dr. Barbara :

Actually, I did just google "sheep nuts" and see that this is a food for sheep. These are formulated for sheep who are herbivores while dogs are ominvores bordering on true carnivores, so this food will probably not be adequate nutrition for a dog as a main diet. Let me go do a little more research to actually look at the ingredients and I'll get back to you.

Customer: We do feed the dog a complete dry food but whenever I feed the sheep he joins in & seems to really love it. So, the question really is checking it won't do him too much harm
Dr. Barbara :

I'm back. . .I see nothing in the sheep nuts that would be harmful, just obviously will not meet the nutritional requirements for a dog. He seems to consider this a real treat and as that will be fine. A general rule of thumb is that 90% if his diet should be his high quality balance dog food and 10% can be his treat. . .sheep nuts in his case!

Dr. Barbara :

Best of luck to you all!

Dr. Barbara :

Dr. B

Customer: That's great as sheep nuts are. £7 for a 20 kg bag and his usual dog treats £1 each! Thank you