Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinary surgeon
23462335

Hi my thoroughbred mare gave herself a nasty overreach while

Hi my thoroughbred mare gave herself a nasty overreach while schooling. This required antibiotics in the end as it became infected. She's off them 10 days and is sound now. I have been turning her out everyday as she is quite fiesty. I gave her gentle exercise yesterday and today and she appeared to tie up, could this be caused by antibiotics still in her system. How long does it take antibiotics to clear the system?
Regards tracey
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tracey,

That's great that Lucy is all settled now and that the wound has healed well and she is sound now.

The antibiotics will be out of her system now, antibiotics can cause adverse effects, most typically these are gastrointestinal in origin such as diarrhoea.

As Lucy is a racehorse and is performing and training at a high level, any period of sudden exercise reduction and then re introduction can often cause a horse to tie up. I would ease the exercise introduction back and build up more slowly. As long as these episodes are short lived and aren't leaving her distressed, trembling, and showing colic type signs (sweating agitation) then exercise control should be sufficient. Ensure she is well hydrated and maybe dose her with some electrolytes in the water.

If it is persisting then definitely get your vet out again.

Good luck and best wishes

Dan Makin