Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

my dog ate bad minced beef and is having strong stomach s

Customer Question

my dog ate bad minced beef and is having strong stomach spasims
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Morgan.
Unfortunately, bad meat can really cause some severe gastrointestinal distress. Enough that can even warrant an emergency vet visit.

Emergency:
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

From above, Pepcid A.C. or just generic famotidine is great to help settle the stomach. I wouldn't worry about giving any other food for another 12 hours at least.

No milk!!!!
Dog's cannot digest it. So, it will actually exacerbate stomach upset and act as a natural laxative causing diarrhea.

Very sorry to hear Morgan isn't feeling well, but hopefully, you can give one of the above to try and help quickly at home. But, a vet visit may really be needed.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or need assistance. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.
Dr. Andy
REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?