Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinary surgeon
23462335

I have a 10 year old Lab who 2 years ago had bone cancer of

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old Lab who 2 years ago had bone cancer of the jaw, this was removed and all was going well. At christmas he was diognosed as a diabetic with an enlarged liver.
Liver readings were 600 and now 400 and his blood sugers was 27. His insulin is 38m twice a day. This week hi has started with an infection in his mouth and gall bladder. My vets have given him very strong antibiotics but he seems to have gone down he wont eat he is just sleeping all the time and does not want to do anything. Today he has started trying to be sick but it is just white froth. he looks so poorly please advise.
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry Alfie is so unwell and realistically he best thing for him today is to be re examined as his lack of eating is going to complicate his diabetes control.

Your dog has many issues which will all affect one another and if all of them spiral out of control, Alfie will be at real risk.

So the infection in the mouth and gall bladder need to be re evaluated and seen if they are linked. It is also worth ensuring at the gall bladder infection is not affecting e pancreas or liver.

As a diabetic Alfie will need to receive his insulin regularly along with food, so it may well be need he needs to be hospitalised to be monitored and his blood sugar carefully monitored.

He is obviously feeling nauseous so anti sickness medications may be worth giving him along with stronger painkillers if his mouth is very painful. Once the nausea is controlled then appetite stimulants such as mirtazapine can be used to encourage food intake.

It does sound like he is seriously unwell and home management is not going to be suitable as this will risk deterioration of the diabetes.

So I would definitively get him examined today. It is vital he keeps water down so try feeding controlled amounts of water in a shallow bowl do he doesn't gorge himself, and offer this frequently.

Good luck and I really hope he improves soon.

Best wishes

Dan Makin
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you we will contact our vets today.

Excellent. I really hope things go OK and it's simply a case of using additional medications.

Good luck

Dan