Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.
22517207

i have a cob mare due to foal anytime, but has been limping

Customer Question

i have a cob mare due to foal anytime, but has been limping on rear leg today.
i have brought her in and called vet for tommorow, as 2 vets off today.
she is a bit clammy in the stable and the leg just above pastern is warm, compared to the others. i think labour is starting, but i am concerned about the leg, she can stand on it and is eating ok.
do you think it is ok to leave for the morning, or should i call out an emergency vet ?
thanks
Expert:  Dr. Larson replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Larson :

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. It certainly sounds like you have your hands full. From what you have described, it does sound like you would be fine to wait until morning when you are scheduled to see the vet.

Dr. Larson :

If she is actually starting labor, I would be hesitant to start medicating her at this point. A little Banamine or aspirin should not cause any problems with labor, but will give her a bit of relief with any pain in the leg.

Dr. Larson :

If it is warm, there is some form of inflammation or infection present. If there are no wounds visible, it is likely inflammation due to blunt trauma, thus, a soft tissue injury. Time and anti inflammatories will help with this.

Hi Simon,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr. Larson