Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a crosed between a and a she ate a small piece of

Customer Question

i have a crosed between a king charles and a ***** ***** she ate a small piece of onion last night and she has been acting strange she keeps thinking she is caughting flies but there is no flies there she does it more when she been on a walk or runs around.
please can you help me i am worried about her she is 5 years old.
thanks Claire.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How much does she weigh?
2- How big was the piece of onion?
3- Does she have any eye discharge?
4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

not sure what she weighs she is only a small dog

a small slice

she gets a bit of eye discharge but not more than usal

she seems confused

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Claire, onion toxicity symptoms typically take a few days to develop as the damage is done mainly to the red blood cells. Symptoms associated with onion toxicity are vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, anorexia, pale gums, painful abdomen, fast heart rate, etc. It is important to remember that there has to be a certain amount of onion consumed to see symptoms. In dogs the toxic dose for onions is 5g/kg. I don't believe the "fly biting" she is doing to be related to eating a piece of onion. In this case, the fly biting you are describing is consistent with an "atypical" form of seizure called "fly biting." Less likely dogs with inflammation in the eye can also show similar behavior by having debris in the fluid found within the eye.
I would recommend a hands on examination with your family veterinarian. If her eye exam is normal then most likely this is a seizure. As far as seizures, possible causes for seizures in dogs are an under active thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney or liver disease, hypoglycemia, brain tumors, idiopathic (unknown), etc. to name a few causes. The most common cause is idiopathic epilepsy, meaning we do not know why the brain behaves in such manner but we can control the seizures with medications (phenobarbital or/and potassium bromide). She may need to be started on medication to control the fly biting.
I would also recommend a grain free diet like Taste of Wild or California Natural; we are learning that ingredients like gluten (protein in wheat, rye and barley), corn, soy, and casein (protein in milk) can play a role in seizure activity in dogs. Table food and treats should also be free of the above ingredients.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter