DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

My 11 year old house cat has never been noticably ill in the

Customer Question

My 11 year old house cat has never been noticably ill in the past. In the last week he has been vomitting up food and this morning for the first time in his life, he did not wake me for his breakfast. His is very listless, trying frequently to urinate and deficate (mostly without doing anything). He does not want to eat but is drinking water. He is constantly licking his bum and genital areas. He has wreched twice this afternoon and on both occassions the product was basically water. I have read up and it seems he may have a urinery tract infection? Please can you assist

Additional: he is also dripping a small amount of urine as he sits down. He also seems to be in some pain on ocassionas he stands and "hunches" and screams quite loudly.

Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.
Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
I don't usually tend to answer this briefly but this time I shall.
You shall seek medical attention from your vet ASAP and that is because there is a high possibility your cat is blocked- meaning his urinary tract is obstructed to the passage of urine .
this is a very serious emergency (I can not emphasize it enough).

It could be that he is not blocked and there is something else going on such as :
Renal disease , gastrointestinal disease , even very severe cystitis but I shall not even bother with these until the first condition and the most urgent one has been dealt with and either resolved or ruled out.

I know my answer is not orthodox but as an emergency vet myself , your described symptoms ring thous red bells in my head.

so what next - find your OOH vet (call you regular vet and they will direct you) and make your way down now.

you have mentioned it has been going on for a week but I know but at times the obstruction is not complete at first but then does.

I truly hoped I have helped Mr.Mao and you shall heed my warning .
I would be very interested to know the diagnosis (please write me).
for now I shall wish you the best of luck.

If my answer has helped you , please rate it .

Dr.J
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.
Hi again.

I just wanted to see how Mr Mao is doing ?
I would like to ask as well if my answer has helped you with your question and if so would you please rate it .

Many thanks.

Dr.J