Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.
22517207

my mare has lumps over her body like she has been bitten my

Customer Question

my mare has lumps over her body like she has been bitten my nats, we increased her fee back in February as she had lost a bit of weight over the winter and had to increase her feed as she was loosing weight (she is a 16h hanoverian x aged 22yrs) we have put her on a round scoop of sugar beet, veteran mix, a scoop of hifi or good doer (depending what we can get at the time) and a scoop of mixed flakes in the evening and half a scoop of mixed flakes and sugar beet in the morning. Is it the protein that can make these lumps flare up?

Thanks Sarah
Expert:  Dr. Larson replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Larson :

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear that Lizzie is having this problem. What you are describing sounds much like hives. This is a typical allergic reaction, usually due to a bite or sting of some sort. It is unlikely that the feed change is the root of this problem. They will really cause no problems, and should go away on their own, usually over about 24-48 hours.

JACUSTOMER-3ob15182- :

Hi, she seems to have had them for a while or at least they wont go down they have scabs on the end of them but wont heal and go down Thanks Sarah

Dr. Larson :

The only thing I can say this sounds like is hives. It still would be an extremely rare case if this was due to the feed change. The only real suggestion I could make would be to try giving 10cc Dexamethasone once daily for 3 days. This is a steroid that can be purchased at most vet supply and many feed stores.

JACUSTOMER-3ob15182- :

Many Thanks Dr Larson

Dr. Larson :

You're welcome. I hope the information is helpful.