Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 2 year old chowchow wont sleep. As soon as I put the lights

Customer Question

My 2 year old chowchow won't sleep. As soon as I put the lights of and the tv of he starts wandering around panting. He cries to go out and if you try to ignore him he starts at doors and rakes up carpets. He looks like he's in ance. If I get up and put the lights on and sit downstairs he writes down. Does he sleeping tablets as I'm shared from being up night after night for his!
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome,

My name is Scott, I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little bit more information, so first can you please answer the following ...

1. How long has Paddington been showing this behaviour?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My gorgeous chow had been showing this behaviour sporadically over the last few months but over the last two weeks is every night.

Hello again Sharron and thanks for the reply.

I am in a different time zone to you and have just come on-line this morning and found your reply, anyway have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

It sometimes happens that dogs get their daily regime out of synchronisation with that of their owners, they want to sleep during the day and be awake all night! Perhaps a light sedative / sleeping tablet might reduce your dog's stress and help change his sleeping habits, but also consider Melatonin which itself has sedative properties.

But the main benefit of Melatonin would be that this drug has been used to help sleep patterns in pets that are very active at night and not sleeping at the right time. This can sometimes occur in dogs ( sundowner syndrome ) Basically it helps re-sets the animal’s biological clock.

Link to an accurate article on the use of Melatonin : LINK

Melatonin is a very safe sort of drug so it would be well worthwhile running this possibility past your vet and giving it a try ....

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott