Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.
22517207

Our 4 year old lab gave birth to 5 pups 5 days ago. She is

Customer Question

Our 4 year old lab gave birth to 5 pups 5 days ago. She is well, feeding pups well, eating and drinking but she is panting more as each day goes by and tonight this is getting worse.Our vet gave her liquid calcium and vit D supplement to have 25 mls daily. Could this be milk fever and would more calcium supplement help or make things worse? She is eating a good quality puppy kibble with some fresh chicken.

I have just checked her temp and it is 39.5C

Expert:  Dr. Larson replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Larson :

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. Her temperature is right at the high end of normal. From the symptoms you are describing, The first thing that comes to my mind is milk fever. I would recommend you have her seen by your vet as soon as you can.

JACUSTOMER-8be9vygn- :

This is the first thing I thought it could be but it has been going on intermittently for 2or 3 days and she is otherwise completely fine. She seems better when she is out of the whelping box and the panting increases when the pups start to make a noise. could it be stress?

JACUSTOMER-8be9vygn- :

I asked could it be stress?

Dr. Larson :

Sorry, I had to step away for a few minutes.

Dr. Larson :

There is the possibility of stress, but the symptoms are enough to cause a little bit of concern. The temperature at the level she is at along with the increased panting are textbook signs of milk fever. Oral calcium works well, but has limits in absorption through the digestive tract. If she is borderline low calcium, IV administration will turn this around quickly.

JACUSTOMER-8be9vygn- :

Ok thanks

JACUSTOMER-8be9vygn- :

Sorry just too slow for me but I have already called our vet while I was waiting for your answer

Dr. Larson :

I see you rated poor service, I'm truly sorry if I missed something in your question. My goal is to provide complete and accurate information. Please let me know where I missed.

Dr. Larson :

I'm very sorry that I had step away for 10 minutes. I hope all goes well with your Lab.

JACUSTOMER-8be9vygn- :

thank you

Dr. Larson :

Please let me know how things turn out.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? I hope all is well.

Let me know,
Dr. Larson