Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

please help.? my puppy has obviously come into contact with

Customer Question

please help.? my puppy has obviously come into contact with something that is severely making his paws ( mainly the underside) itch. He is in so much discomfort_ we've tried all kinds of silly things_ soaking in vinegar water_ aloe vera_ but the poor little chap is quite distraught _ hes 12 weeks old and has not had his full course of injections as yet. i understand he is young, so will probably squeel quite allot, rather than an older dog perhaps? but could you give us some advice? we're panicking alitttle as its so late, and hes so young. please? thank you
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Bertie.
First, you must wash all that stuff off of the paws. I would pick up a generic puppy shampoo or you can use Dawn liquid soap (if available in the U.K.). Really need to get the other products off the paws.

Second, to help with itching you can give a little benadryl antihistamine.
For a little puppy, you could give a 1/4 tablet of a 25mg benadryl tablet, or you could give 2-3mls of benadryl liquid.

Definitely, I encourage veterinary examination as soon as possible, since we don't what he came into contact with or if a allergic reaction could get worse, resulting in blistering or infection of the paws.

It would be fine to apply some hydrocortisone cream and/or some antibiotic ointment for soothing.

Very sorry to hear what happened to Bertie. Sound well worth a vet exam especially with the degree of distress he is exhibiting.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Elli,
Bad service?
Very strange.

Is that because you can't get any of the products I suggested?

Please, allow me to try and help your puppy but I need some assistance to know why you quickly rated so bad.

Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
i was asking just answer UK! so i had hoped to get a vet from the UK.

sorry but not happy about that.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Oh...
Well, I can tell you that I have worked, personally with vets who have come to the U.S. from the U.K. and we practice medicine almost identically. Some of the products have a variation in the name, but the active drug is identical.

I you still were looking for only a U.K. vet let me know.

Dr. Andy