How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 30880
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now

my dog has just licked my wrist which had voltarol 1.16 emulgel.

Customer Question

my dog has just licked my wrist which had voltarol 1.16 emulgel. this was administed about 3hrs ago. she is a small 5 yr old yorkie
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How much does she weigh?
2- Did she ingest it 3 hours ago?
3- How many milligrams did she ingest or you can give me the amount of milligrams per oz and how much you had applied and I can calculate how much she ingested?
4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


about 5kg, it was 2hrs ago when she ingested it,I don't know how she ingested as it was 3hrs previous that I applied it and my wrist was dry. I only applied 2 blobs of a couple of milligrams.


I have no hydrogen peroxide

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Derek, Voltarol (diclofenac) can be quite toxic to dogs when ingested. Symptoms will be strictly dependent on the amount she ingested. Gastrointestinal ulceration is seen at 2.2 mg/kg and renal failure at 4.7 mg/kg. So, if she is 5 kg that means she would need to ingest 11mg for GI ulceration to occur and 23.5mg for renal failure. If the gel was on your wrist for 3 hours and dry I doubt she could have ingested such amount as the drug most likely was already absorbed by the skin. The fact that we don't have an actual amount of ingestion I would start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 10mg every 12 hours for 1 week and follow up with family veterinarian in 1-2 days for a blood test to check her kidney values to be on the safe side.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter