gpvet
gpvet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a general practice vet with 13 years of experience dealing with all types of companion animals and small exotics
73965271

dear vet, my dog a labrador, is extremly greedy even eating

Customer Question

dear vet,
my dog a labrador, is extremly greedy even eating poo, a have been told this could be do to a lack of an emzyme, papain,found in certain fruit, could i get this as tablet,
your advice please.

helen fuller,
,
Expert:  gpvet replied 4 years ago.

gpvet :

Hi Helen

gpvet :

Papain is found in pineapple, and many people will given pineapple chunks or juice to help with this problem.

gpvet :

You can also try a broad spectrum multivitamin tablet as occasionally this behaviour can be triggered by lack of other micronutrients.

gpvet :

However we often find this is a purely behavioural issue, and prompt removal of the faeces is recommended. You can also try some over the counter products that make the poo taste bad (apparently it doesn't normally!) such as Deter tablets.

gpvet :

Very very occasionally the abnormal appetite (we call it pica) can be an indicator of underlying diseases such as liver issues. If you wanted to be really thorough then you could ask your vet to screen for these diseases. However, the chances are Holly is just conforming to the typical labrador stereotype!

gpvet :

I hope this information helps.

gpvet :

Debbie