Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 2 year old Cocker spaniel was sick in the night and is now

Customer Question

My 2 year old Cocker spaniel was sick in the night and is now very lethargic and is panting heavily he has drank a small amount of water at 5.30 am
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.

Vet_Answers :

Hello my name is Scott, I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Vet_Answers :

Did he eat anything odd over the last 24 hours? Any possible access to toxins? When you say sick you mean vomiting?

JACUSTOMER-e7ouyzwa- :

Yes vomiting just once i do not think he has eaten anything that he should not.

Vet_Answers :

I have to say that the fact he is panting heavily and is lethargic is a cause for concern, vomiting is common in the dog and is usually very minor and they often recover quickly. However as I say I do not like the sound of these other symptoms you describe. That being the case it things do not change then your best course of action would be to take him to your vet when they open as they will shortly.

Vet_Answers :

It could be that he is running a temperature and so is in the grip of some infection or other, that being the cases prescription drugs such as antibiotics could well be required ...

JACUSTOMER-e7ouyzwa- :

Thank you very much the panting seems to be his worst sympton and he is normally very hyperactive especially of a morning as he goes for a 45 min run with my husband and he is just lying on the sofa awake but not moving

Vet_Answers :

I normally suggest home remedies here on Just Answer if I can do so safely but in your case I feel that this could be dangerous. If a client had phoned me out of hours with such a case I would have given them the option to be seen at the clinic without delay or alternatively meet them first thing when the clinic opened. In the meantime all you can do is to keep him warm, comfortable and reassured.

JACUSTOMER-e7ouyzwa- :

thank you my vet opens at 9.00 so I will call and hopefully get an appointment I thought I would try you first as my vet is extremly expensive and does tend to do unneccesary tests but they are the only vet in the area. Thank you once again for your advice

Vet_Answers :

No problem, glad to have advised you, I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next couple of hours or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott