Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

i have noticed this morning green discharge coming from dogs

Customer Question

i have noticed this morning green discharge coming from dogs willy.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.

Vet_Answers :

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Vet_Answers :

So this is just a small bead of discharge at the end of his penis but he is otherwise fit and happy?

JACUSTOMER-t3o71m0n- :

yes

Vet_Answers :

What you describe is very common in male dogs and is nothing to worry about, it is more than likely just a hygiene issue.

Vet_Answers :

I am going to be quite basic here, please excuse me. If the dog had a shower each day as human males do and rolled back his foreskin and washed the area then this problem would not occur. Sometimes in the dog you can get a build up of detritus called smegma under the foreskin and this can predispose to a very minor infection and the discharge you can see.

JACUSTOMER-t3o71m0n- :

ok 13 quid to wash his willy lol cheers

Vet_Answers :

The remedy is for you to gently roll back your dog's foreskin and wash the area with something like dilute hibiscrub at a 1:4 dilution { this is an over the counter product } or just soap and water would do almost as well. If you do this once a day for three days that should solve the problem

Vet_Answers :

Of course if the discharge does not clear up or gets worse you should consult your vet but normally this will not be necessary.

Vet_Answers :

That's about it really, I have been asked about this many times in the past by clients at my clinic, they generally thought it was some form of infection but it is usually easily solved by the measures I suggested. Well worth trying that before getting a vet involved ...

Vet_Answers :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.