Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod,
73554018

Dear Sir/Madam Our cat casper is under

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam
Our cat casper is under 12 months old and is a male,and has a high white blood cell count,and his temp is up and down to a high point of 106f.Now he is still at the vets and so far it has cost me £1,300 pounds now he is on a drip and has eaten a little especially when we were with him yesterday and the vets are trying different drugs to bring his temp down which last night came down to 102.2 but today has shot up 105 f and currently at 104f.Tommorow will be the crunch time as to wheather he gets put to sleep as i havent any more money for treatment,would he stand a chance back home in his own enviroment with regular drugs ???? As he is quite alert in himself thankyou
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.
Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question
This is a tough one I admit.
I just wonder.
1. when did casper first started showing signs of high temp ? is he of a specific breed of cats ? is he vaccinated ? are their any other symptoms ?
2. what kind of tests did Casper have done at his vets and what were their results.
3. is he insured ? if so , have you no money left on the policy ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Sir

Casper first showed signs of high temp last Monday,he is not a specific breed of cat.Yes he is vaccinated and spayed. Test were carried out and it showed that he had a high white cell count which indicated an infection,which the vets arent sure what it is.This in turn is causing his temp to go up and down. He had a full bladder last week and one of his kidneys was enlarged. I first took him to the vets just over a week ago as i first thought he had been sat on by my labrodor dog goldie,also his eye was brown stained and weeping which has the look of a bloodied eye which it wasnt. He was also slightly lame as his right rear leg was inflammed which vets thought might have been down to a bite ( we have 6 other cats) but the vet couldnt find a punture wound. He has been tested for both TB and feline aids which were both negative. He has been in the vets since Friday and been on a drip to try and bring his temp down and various drugs which has helped but then his temp goes back up.Im not insured as i have to many animals but tomorrow will have to make descion as to wheather he lives or gets put to sleep.Now he is bright and has eaten especially when we were at the vets yesterday,now is it ok to bring him home where in his own enviroment he might relax better and we can feed him as he reponds better to us,and even the vet said that, and his temp might steady at home at moment it is 104f please advise

Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your detailed advice.
it's indeed a conundrum as to what is affecting casper.
Having high temp for a while week with no change would warrant some deep investigation to which I shall return in a moment.

You mentioned that Casper is now eating and drinking and would it be better to take him home .
As long as casper can intake fluids by oral means then yes , you can definitely take him home to continue the course of oral medication while monitoring his Temp.
Cats are very stressful animals the he would benefit from his home environment as it will help reduce the stress of being at the vets.
So again. by all means , take him home and give him the TLC only you can while monitoring him closely.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX general condition and this mysterious temperature and elevated white blood cells .
This could definitely indicate and infection or other disease as well which can result in increased WBC count such as immune mediated disease thou are more rare to find in such a young cat.

I am sure that your vet has work hard to try and find a diagnosis for this unexplained fever .
What I would suggest is perhaps doing what is called a blood culture .
this is a special culture which helps grow all kind of bacterial agent which are found in the blood and help give some indication towards a diagnosis . it is not a common thing down with general practice vets but it's worth doing as it help greatly if Casper is suffering from severe systemic bacterial infection.

Some times such unexplained fevers can be a result of foreign objects in the body ,not necessarily in the digestive tract, such as foxtail which migrated inwards along the spinal muscle (very common location).
its always worth while doing Xrays of the whole body, answers can come from an unexpected direction.
As well Some young animals are born with organs which are not fully functional , like kidneys and liver which might not be picked up on bloods test but would be visible on an ultrasound.
And lastly , there is the term 'pyrexia of unknown origin' which means in plain english - we have no idea what is causing this high temp and funny as it may seem , this is an official diagnosis when non other are found.

Again , i am very sorry about little casper and I do really hope for him to make a full recovery , we must give him a chance.

I hope my answer has helped you if just by a bit.

I wish you and casper the best luck.

Please don't hesitate to contact me again if you have more questions .

Dr.J

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Sir

Many thanks for your reply,yes he has had x-rays and thats when they said that he had a full bladder,and that one of his kidneys was slightly enlarged,so he has had all the tests that can possibly be done at the local vet practice,and i think that even if he has a high temp it might be worth bringing him home and see if TLC in his own enviroment might help,rarther than just putting him to sleep

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Sir

I forget to mention that bloods were already taken,as thats how they found that he had a high white blood cell count. thankyou

Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.
Hi again.

I can see by your initial post that bloods were taken .

A Blood culture is not a blood test .

Blood culture means taking a blood sample and injecting it into a special medium which helps bacteria grow .
it is later sent to a special laboratory which will analyze the results.

I think taking Casper home would be doing the right thing .

I hope my former answer has helped you . if it did , please don't forget to rate it .

Dr.J

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Sir

Many thanks for your e-mail i regret to inform you that we had to have Casper put to sleep this morning as his condition had worsened this morning,and seeing him i could tell he was poorly as his second eyelid was closing on his eyes and his eyes were watering,so something was going on,maybe his whole body was starting to shut down.The vets would have allowed him home if it had just been a temp issue, but it wasnt and the humane thing to do was to have him put to sleep,which i was present all the way through it,and no matter how many times ive been through it it never gets any easier,and i lost my mother last year as well,and they say that is the biggest loss that one can suffer.Kindest regards XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

Hi Fenton.im so sorry to hear that Casper is no longer with us .

Perhaps it was the right thing to do after all .

The first rule of veterinary medicine is maintain quality of life .

Our little friends don't understand sick, they don't understand medicine and treatment . they only understand that they are painful , they are uncomfortable and all they wish for it to stop.

These are hard time for you and I can offer little comfort by saying you have done the right thing . Casper was in pain and you let the pain go away .

You did a good thing.

Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX James

Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.
Please .

If you need my help again in the future , please don't hesitate to ask for me again.

I would be thankful if you can rate my conversation with you if it was helpful .

James
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

James

I guess you are in the USA well thanks for your opinons it has been appreciated

kind Regards

Fenton Naylor ( uk )

Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

No, im in the UK.

Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.
So again

If I have helped you , please don't forget to rate our discussion on the website

James
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Fenton,

I am really sorry to hear of your loss.I do hope the Professional was able to give you the right advise. Please remember to rate the answer given omce you are satisfied.

Once again I apologise for your loss.

Kind regards,