Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinary surgeon
23462335

Hi, my 14.3 has developed what is believed to be a Thoroughpin

Customer Question

Hi, my 14.3 has developed what is believed to be a Thoroughpin and I wanted to find out if I can still ride him as he isn't lame with it?
Alyce
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 4 years ago.

Thoroughpin is effectively inflammation of the sheath housing the deep digital flexor tendon in the hindlimb.

It can present with lameness due to the inflammatory reaction taking place and it is often bought about following a traumatic injury.

However, some instances are not accompanied by pain or lameness and as such the thorough in constitutes a cosmetic problem rather than an orthopaedic one, in such instances which seems like the situation you are in with Pez, riding will be OK.

Bt if lameness develops he should be examined and checked over. The fluid can be drained off, and also joint nutraceuticals can be injected into the swollen sheath helping progress.

Good luck

Dan Makin