Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

hello i am breeding red factor canaries but the young are all

Customer Question

hello i am breeding red factor canaries but the young are all dying after three days i have bred these birds for many years can you help please
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.
Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

There could be many things which can lead to neonatal deaths as you stated .
The question is
1. how many females (couples) do you have and do they all have dead chicks .
2. in what stage do the chicks die - just after hatching or when they a number of days old.
3. when they hatch , is there any strange liquid still present in the egg (which is not usually there) or any foul smell which is not normal.
4. do you keep the same feeding , heating, protective measures for your current birds as you always have , or is there anything you are doing different.
5. have you introduced a new male / female into the group for this breeding period ?

I shall be looking forward to you answer and any other information you might see valuable .