Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog 3 yrs and 2 months old, he started frothing at the mouth

Customer Question

My dog 3 yrs and 2 months old, he started frothing at the mouth and shaking his head, he did this several times over 4 wks. He run into the trampoline post when chasing his ball and he cut his face 2 days later he was scratching at the wound,and made it worse we took him to the vets who said because of him scratching it, it's caused some kind of dermatitis and gave him antibiotics and an injection to stop the itching, I told the vet he had been frothing at the mouth before his accident, but a day after he stopped taking the antibiotics he had a fit and as had 2 more since then, 3 in the space of a week. what should I do next just need some advice please
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in replying to you. I just came online to find your question languishing on the question list. Ty's behavior is consistent with idiopathic epilepsy which arises between the ages of 1-5 years in most of our seizuring patients. While trauma can certainly end up causing seizures in people and pets, his accident didn't predate his frothing and shaking of his head and shouldn't be thought to be contributory to his fits.

We'll usually tolerate one mild seizure months before considering anticonvulsive medication such as penobarbital, potassium bromide or levetiracetam. Ty has already exceeded the number of seizures I'll accept without medicating and, in fact, they appear to be clustering which is worrisome for the development of status epilepticus - the state in which his central nervous system remains too aroused.

T y's vet needs to be apprised of these fits. The vet may recommend diagnostic testing (blood/urine tests) prior to initiating anticonvulsive medication. The testing usually reveals little of importance. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.