Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My border collie was spayed last Thursday ever since she has

Customer Question

My border collie was spayed last Thursday ever since she has been aggressive growling and snarling at us is there anything medical that could have caused it
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Has Jess been eating well and acting normal besides this aggression?

Is this all the time?

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes she eats eukanuba dog food she is a booster collie and she has been snappy before but is really bad at the moment

Thank you Jacqui for that information...

My concern for Jess is that she is feeling pain form the surgery that causes her to be more aggressive. It seems that she shoould have been over this by now but she may still feel pain.

The other issue is that thsi procedure removes all of her hormones coming from her ovaries but thsi should not be noticeable for at leats a week ot more. The lack of tehse hormones will tend to calm Jess down rather than making her aggressive.

I would either ask your vet to prescribe a pain reliever, Jacqui, or give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs for teh next 5 days to see if that will change her attitude. If that does not help, then take her to obedience training...this may be a behavior trait that jess is getting away with and she needs more discipline to let her know that certain behaviors are not tolerated.

Does that make sense to you, Jacqui?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta