Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi my cat has fleas and there in the carpet can u please tell

Customer Question

Hi my cat has fleas and there in the carpet can u please tell me best stuff to buy for my cat and carpet thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with Felix and the fleas today.

It sounds like you do have a good grasp of the situation, as you have appreciated that not only do you need to treat Felix but that the house (and its soft furnishings) need to be treated to clear the flea infestation.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX treatments for Felix, there are a range to choose from. Since you have issue with the fleas in your house as well, I'd strongly suggest using a product like Advocate, Revolution, Stronghol, Advantage II, or Frontline Plus. I would avoid using grocery store products (ie Bob Martin, Bephar, or the plain Frontline or Advantage). The reason is because we have started to see some flea resistance issues to the older products (hence why they have put out Frontline Plus now & the company who makes Advantage now has an Advantage II. And the grocery store brands barely work if at all). So, do consider one of the newer preprations to just make sure you are targeting any resistant adult fleas who may be bothering Felix and give us the best chance to keep him from being bitten and keep him from bringing any new fleas into the house (to restart the cycle of infestation).

In regards XXXXX XXXXX house, this is a critical angle to address, because it is currently the source of the flea infestation. Now as you have appreciated, fleas often lay their eggs in carpets or soft furnishings within the house. To remove them, you may consider washing any soft furnishings that can be washed but ideally we'd want to be using an environmental treatment for the house. In regards XXXXX XXXXX to use, the key is using a product with Insect Growth Regulator (IGR). These products will not just kill the adults but with the IGR they will also stop the eggs from hatching and the larvae from maturing.That way you are killing the all life stages and breaking the flea cycle. Examples of products that we'd use in this situation are R.I.P. Fleas (LINK) or Vet-Kem (LINK).

Overall, to tackle and infestation our attack must be two-fold. Therefore, we want to keep Felix on monthly treatments with a good quality newer topical flea spot-on and we want to treat the environment with a product containing IGR. These combined will give you the best chance to clear the current invasion and prevent re-infection of the house post-treatment.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )