Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

can you help little bantom chicken looks as if she is trying

Customer Question

can you help little bantom chicken looks as if she is trying to lay an egg -she has layed one today - not yesterday, she laid a soft one a week ago ! hunched up passed what looked like yellow dihoreah,(it could have been egg yoak though - she is pushing with her vent yet nothing- ive tried warm water- we have dried her off tonight she is in the indoor cage on her own - i have put a heated pad on the top and covered her cage over with towels!-Im new to chickens ive only had this one 3 weeks, can you advise at all -sorry its so late
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry that your chicken is having this problem. The previous soft egg, the yolk being passed (yellow diarrhea) and straining all indicate that she is egg bound or has an egg or egg yolk stuck. If you want to help you the only thing that can actually be done is to have her examined by a vet and have an offending egg or yolk removed manually. Unfortunately besides keeping her warm and soaking her rear area in warm water, there isn't much you can do at home.

Dr. Dan