gpvet
gpvet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a general practice vet with 13 years of experience dealing with all types of companion animals and small exotics
73965271

Hi, IM getting an 8 week old female Coton De Tulear puppy

Customer Question

IM getting an 8 week old female Coton De Tulear puppy next week. In 4 months time Im thinking of getting a Havanese puppy. Should I get a male or female for company for my Coton De Tulear puppy. Im heard that females fight a lot is this true?
Many Thanks
David
Expert:  gpvet replied 4 years ago.

gpvet : Hi there! Congrats on the new puppy!
gpvet : the first question to consider is whether you plan on neutering either puppy. If you are, then I don't think the sex of the second one will matter, as generally the reduction in hormones makes fighting less likely.
gpvet : If you plan on leaving them entire, then yes, females can get more irritable with each other, especially around seasons or false pregnancies. However getting a male as the second puppy obviously creates a whole load of other issues such as the potential for unwanted matings. Also males near a bitch in season can become more anxious/aggressive/destructive and not want eat.
gpvet : You also have to take into consideration the individual personalities of the puppies. Some will never be a problem regardless of sex or neutering and the converse is also true!
gpvet : in many ways the best combination of sexes is the one you personally are most comfortable with.
gpvet : I hope this helps your decision making process a little bit. In the meantime, make sure and enjoy the new puppy.
gpvet : Debbie