Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified veterinarian with further qualifications in Animal Behavior. Knowledgeable on pet health, illness and behavior.
65104486

What are the signs of a doe rejecting her kittens? They are

Customer Question

What are the signs of a doe rejecting her kittens? They are 6 days old and one of them seems to be apart from the rest and I am not sure whether the mother is pushing it out. This morning I found it on the other side of the hutch out in the open. Is the doe rejecting it?
Expert:  Veterinarian101 replied 4 years ago.

My name is Dr Luke and I am here to help you today.

Unfortunately it does sound like the mum is rejecting this kit. If you put the kit back with the mum and then find it separate again when you return then she is rejecting it. Female animals that have litters are amazingly good at detecting when one of them is unwell or has a congenital problem. Often, even as a vet we can examine the kit and find nothing wrong but the the mum still 'knows' and keeps rejecting it.

It is posible to hand rear the kit but this can be very difficult in rabbits as they also need mum and other kittens company for a proper upbringing. I am sorry to give you this sad news.