Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

One of my orfe has developed a large protruding eye. It started

Customer Question

One of my orfe has developed a large protruding eye. It started out whitish and is now has pinky look. The pond is well looked after and clear. The orfe i about 15-17 years old. Any ideas please??
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you tell me if the protrusion appears to be swelling of the eye itself or protrusion of the "stalk" of tissue that connects the eye to the body?

Are you referring to the cornea (the clear eye cover) as being whitish and now pink?

If possible, could you take a photo of this eye? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure whether the protrusion is the eye itself or the eye is on the end of a stalk. At first the cornea seemed to go white, then pink then started getting swollen. It's quite difficult to see exactly as the orfe still seems well enough to swim, hide under the lilies and eat as normal but my husband has managed to take a few photos which I'll try and send to you. These might help with your diagnosis hopefully.

Thanks,

Jenny Foster

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jenny,

That would be grand if you could post those photos for me, as it will allow me to appreciate if we are seeing primary ocular disease or if the protrusion is arising from the 'stalk' which would indicate "pop-eye" or early stage dropsy (with likely secondary eye involvement since that clouding of the cornea is indicative of corneal swelling secondary to trauma/damage/erosion). And the sooner we get a feel for which is the case, we can approach this properly for this fish.

I look forward to your photos and working with you on this wee one,
Dr. B.