Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

I got my new puppy today and he is breathing rapidly about

Customer Question

I got my new puppy today and he is breathing rapidly about 50 in the last 15 seconds and he isnt letting up i dnt know what to do..mrs barwick
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 10 week old puppy Oska who is breathing very rapidly. If Oska is indeed breathing at around 50 breaths per 15 seconds - then this is very quick and probably more like panting. Given his age and susceptibility, I really would encourage you to take him along to your local ER or afterhours Vet now if you can. There are a number of things that could be going on here, and while this could purely behavioral, it could also potentially be due to anything from heatstroke, to a primary lung issue, or a fever.

If this breathing hasn't settled at all in the last few minutes - then as above, please get him seen straight away. This type of issue shouldn't wait.

If his breathing has settled now, then please keep an eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color. If his gums still appear grey (and this isn't his natural pigment), then definitely get him seen straight away.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting tonight this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Oska and please do get him seen right now if he is still breathing this quickly. Although this may just be stress or a behavioral response, it isn't worth taking the risk of not having him checked over.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards